Wild game, including various sorts of wildbirds, prominent among which was the prairie chicken and wild ducks, were a regular commodity at food markets of the early 1890s at eastern Omaha. As the regulatory seasons allowed, items brought from the country-side and from western portions of the state of Nebraska, arrived. Various brokers made their purchase and the edible fowl went onward to a market or store where consumers decided to purchase something for a meal.
When the particular report about the local business places of interest was issued, these businesses were all basically in the downtown district, east of 24th Street.
Game was mentioned as a product to be purchased, with most of the reports having a similar comment regarding that game was available in season. No particulars were indicated in regard to quantity or price, according to the source book, issued at Chicago.
These are the establishments featuring game for purchase.
This meat market was first opened in 1890 at 1921 Leavenworth Street. Fish, game and poultry were available during the season.
"... Mr. Bressert is prepared to supply in quantities to suit hotels, restaurants, private families and consumers generally, a special feature being made of family trade."
Orders were delivered free of charge.
Denton & Vogt.
A market operated by L.W. Denton and Otto Vogt at the northwest corner of 13th and Chicago Streets, in downtown. Their specialty was the "freshest and choicest of meats," with fish and game available in season.
This business had been originally established in 1882, and in 1892 the 22x44 feet store was "elegantly filled up with ash fixtures and marble-topped counters," where attentive clerks offered for purchase fresh beef, pork, veal, mutton, sausage, and, in fact, "all kinds of fresh and salt meats," according to the sketch account of the era.
This business as established in the late 1870s, originally had an address at 1517 Dodge Street. It then moved to 2010 Farnam Street. The pen-sketch indicated the business was one of "finest assortment" to be found on the West End. Product specialties were poultry and game.
"His prices are low and popular and his market affords a constant scene of activity during market hours."
Grand Central Market.
Messrs. R.E. and J.U. Welch, having arrived at the city from Boston seven years previous, operated this business at 2204 - 2206 Farnam Street, telephone 1511. The business front represented the both a meat market and grocery store.
"The whole is elegantly fitted up with ash fixtures, marble top counters, cashier's desk, electric lights, etc., and is by far the most attractive establishment of the kind in the city."
Fish and game were available in season.
Located at 730 24th Street in South Omaha, since 1891, after having moved from elsewhere in the metro area.
"Neatness and cleanliness are characteristics of this market, and a well selected stock of choice fresh beef, mutton, lamb, pork, veal, lard, sausage, hams, shoulders and in fact, of all kinds of fresh and salt meats, as well as of poultry, game, fish, fresh vegetables, etc., is carried. Swift's choice meats are always on hand."
This is another example of an Omaha market being run by a German immigrant.
Icken & Wohlers.
Messrs. G.W. Icken and Ed. J.H. Wohlers were copartners in a 20x70 foot establishment located at 1205 Howard Street, having been in business for years.
"... Everything in the way of country produce is handled by the firm: Butter, cheese, eggs, poultry, game, fresh vegetables, hides, pelts, etc."
Their pen sketch also indicated an extensive business in shipping products to eastern markets.
The People's Cash Market.
Geo. W. Kurz was the proprietor, having been situated for seven years at 1714 Nicholas Street. The
The source where these vignettes were published was "handsomely illustrated", but, alas, there were no images included for the places of particular interest.
Game Markets Gone
Not one of these businesses are extant in the modern era, at the same locality!